How to Take Care of Veneers
posted: Jan. 07, 2016.
I Have Dental Veneers, Now How Do I Take Care of Them? The Do’s and Don’ts of Porcelain Veneer Care.
You smile at yourself in the mirror, and now a gorgeous set of sparkling porcelain veneers smile back at you. The color and shape of them are perfect, and you might be wondering how to keep them perfect. You want to know how to take care of them.
Porcelain veneers, like those placed by John Sartorio, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, are strong, but there are still some things you don’t want to do, in order to keep them in perfect shape. When you have porcelain veneers, it’s important to remember:
- Don’t use them as tools- don’t use your teeth to open bags or tear things
- Don’t bite into hard foods like apples or candy, and don’t chew ice or bite your fingernails
- Don’t play contact sports without wearing a mouthguard
If you grind your teeth at night, this is very hard on your teeth, and extremely hard on veneers, so make an appointment with Dr. Sartorio immediately to be fitted with a night guard.
Veneers should be treated just like you would treat your normal teeth. For proper care of porcelain veneers, you should remember to:
- Brush and floss daily to protect your gums and your teeth from periodontal disease and decay
- Consider getting a sonic toothbrush- vibrating toothbrushes are very effective for daily oral care
- Visit Dr. Sartorio regularly so he can check your veneers for any problems
- Get regular dental cleanings- your hygienist will examine your gums for any signs of irritation or infection, and will polish your veneers with a mild, non-abrasive paste.
You’ve made the perfect choice with dental veneers, and you’ve made a commitment to yourself to look your very best. You owe it to yourself to maintain your veneers so you can get the most from your investment.
If you want to know more about caring for your veneers or you want to have them checked out by an expert, stop in and visit Dr. John Sartorio in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, your partner in dental veneers. He is there to help you keep your dazzling smile. Call today!